Insurance for your Maid
All Foreign Domestic Workers are required by the Ministry of Manpower to be covered by Medical and Personal Accident Insurance before arriving or/ and beginning her employment contract. Cost of the insurance is borne by employer, and cost cannot be transferred to FDW.
MOM have stipulated the minimum coverage for:
- Medical Insurance – $15,000
- Personal Accident Insurance – $40,000
The insured amount is the minimum required by MOM, but its highly recommended to increase the coverage amount as the employer is fully liable for any cost beyond the insurance coverage.
Security Deposit & Bonds
All employers of FDW are require to furnish MOM with a $5000 Security Deposit as part of the condition of employing a FDW. However, employers can choose to purchase a Security Bond as part of the insurance package.
The Security Bond is required to be purchased and submitted to MOM before commercing employment.
Please do take note that the security bond may be forfeited if:
- You or your helper violate any of the conditions of the Work Permit or security bond.
- You don’t pay her salary on time.
- You fail to send her back when her Work Permit is expired, revoked or canceled, or if she goes missing.
If the helper goes missing, half of the security bond ($2,500) will be forfeited if you have made reasonable effort to locate her and have filed a police report.
You will not be liable for your helper’s violations (such as those relating to pregnancy) if you can prove that you have:
- Informed her of the Work Permit conditions she must comply with.
- Reported a violation when you first become aware of it.
NOTE: Purchase of Security Bond does not mean that the employer is not liable for the forfeited amount. A Security Bond is a promise from the insurer that any amount forfeited will be paid. The Insurance company will still require the employer to reimburse the forfeited amount.
ADDON – Employers are able to purchase a waiver of counter indemnity to limit your liability to $250 if the employer did NOT cause the breach of the bond.